Summer is here and the temperature is rising. We’re outside in the sun more, we’re swimming more and we can sometimes neglect our hair a little. As we all know, heat is not great for our hair. This doesn’t just include hair dryers and straighteners, it also means the sun. Over the warmer months, our hair can become dryer and require more attention.
- Use a leave in moisturising treatment after you wash your hair. This helps to add moisture and most treatments will have a UV protection in them.
- Remember to wash your hair as soon as you can after swimming in a pool. If chlorine is not washed out, it can damage your hair and can become very tangly. This is because the chlorine is stripping your hair of its natural oils. Unfortunately, chlorine damage may be irreversible and the only way to get rid of it is by cutting your hair.
- Before swimming, either apply leave in treatment or rinse your hair in clean water. This will prevent your hair from soaking up as much chlorine or salt water.
- Washing your hair after swimming in the ocean is also important, as the salt water draws water out of your hair and skin, leaving it dehydrated.
- Use deep treatments as often as you can. Replace your conditioner with a deep conditioning treatment and leave on for at least 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Use less heat. Embrace your natural hair texture and play around with buns, braids and pony tails or add some accessories.
So just remember to take extra care of your hair this time of the year. We hope that you have found these simple and effortless tips useful for protecting your hair in this heat. Enjoy your summer ladies!