We hear, time and time again in the salon,” I feel like a change, but I don’t know what to do different with my hair”. Then it usually plays out something along the lines of,” Well your my hairdresser, what would you do with my hair?”
Now this scenario is great when you have built up a trusting relationship with your hairdresser and you have absolute faith in them. That they are going to perform a ‘hair miracle’ on you!
However if you are sitting in the stylists chair and you are feeling adventurous, but you have no clue where to even start to articulate what you want – here are some our recommendations:
- Firstly, identifying if you would like your hairstyle shorter or start to grow your locks longer.
- Take into consideration your lifestyle and how much maintenance you want your hair to be.
- When going lighter remember your re-growth may be more obvious & need colour sooner.
- Do you need to tie your hair back in a ponytail for work or exercise?
- Call the salon, ask to speak to your stylist & make sure there’s enough time for your restyle.
- Start researching images of styles you might be thinking about.
- Be realistic when looking at how their hair is styled for the photo – is that achievable?
- Ask a friends opinion and make sure it’s an honest one, once you chop, it’s gone for good!
- Look over past photos when you loved your colour or cut and ask your stylist to tweak it.
- Enjoy the dreaming process and make sure you are fully committed when it’s the day!
As hairdressers you would be surprised at how many conversations, pictures, umming and ahhhing WE do before our salon hair day comes. Every six to eight weeks at the salon, we stay back on a Saturday afternoon to do each other’s hair. Weeks prior to hair day it is the topic of conversation, “What do you think about this colour on me?’ or “Do you think I need a full head or a half head of foils this time?” It goes on and on! It’s the fun part of our job, being creative and brainstorming new ideas and techniques to achieve results.
So now that we are coming into holiday season- if you need that ‘FRESH hair feeling’ start by using these tips, get researching and make sure you book your hair appointment accordingly.